.

Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Night World : Dark Angel Chapter 14

She got Davids humbles number from a receptionist at the front desk. She didnt ask if she was e rattling(prenominal)owed tovisit.All Gillian could remember as she walked dget the hall was, Please. Please, if David was precisely all right, therewas a chance that eery thing could work erupt.At the portal she culminationureped and held her breath.Her mind was exhibit her all sorts of pictures. David in a coma, hooked up to so any(prenominal) tubes and wiresthat he was unrecogniz open. Worse, David alive and awake and smiling and looking at her with chromatic look.She knew what Angels plan had been. At least(prenominal), she thought she knew. The only question was, had hesucceeded? nonetheless(prenominal) holding her breath, she looked around the room access.David was sitting up in keister. The only thing he was hooked up to was an IV of clear fluid. thither wasa nonher(prenominal) bed in the room, empty.He looked toward the door and saw her.Gillian walked toward him s lowly. She kept her submit absolutely expressionless, her eyes on him.Dark pilus. A lean governing body that still had traces of a summer tan. Cheekbones to die for and eyes to drown in. scarce no half-quizzical, half-friendly smile. He was looking hindquarters at her as seriously as she was looking athim, a book slipping unheeded from his lap.Gillian get toed the foot of the hospital bed. They st atomic number 18d at each opposite.What do I introduce? David, is it really you? I buttockst. Its too stupid, and whats he going to say foul? No,dragonfly, its not him, its me?The silence stretched on. At last, very quietly, the guy on the bed say, Are you authorize?Yeah. The word came step forward clipped and dispassionate. Are you okay?Yeah, pretty much. I was lucky. He was watching her. You look-kind of different.And youre kind of quiet.Something kindred bewilderment flashed in his eyes. Then something like hurt. I was well, you walked inhere looking so deadpan, and you sound so cold He shook his extend slightly, hiseyes fixed on hers. Gillian-did I do something to make you motivation to hit that pole?I didnt do it on purpose She put herself lunging forward, reaching for his hands.He looked floor. OkayDavid, I didnt. I was doing everything I could not to. I would never want to hurt you. Dont you k presently that?His vista cleared. His eyes were very ignominious simply very calm. Yes, I do/ he said simply. I believe you. contradictoryly, she knew he did. hi spite of all the evidence to the contrary, he believed her.Gillians hands tightened on his. Their eyes were locked unneurotic. It was as if they were acquire closer,although neither of them died physi gossipy.And then it was all happening, what had started to happen at least twice before. Feelings so sweet andstrong she could threateningly bear it. Strange recognition, unexpected belonging impossible turn iningGillians eyes depended to shut of their own accord. And then somehow the y were kissing. She felt thewarmth of Davids lips. And everything was warm and wonderful but there was more.It was as if the normal veil that separated two flock had melted.Gillian felt a shock of revelation. This was what it meant, what Angel had spoken to her to the highest degree. Sheknew it intuitively plane though shed never spoken the word before.Soulmates.Shed found hers. The one retire for her on this earth. The psyche she was meant to be with, that no onecould keep her from. And it wasnt Angel. It was David.That was the different thing she knew, and knew with a bedrock certainty that nothing could touch. Thiswas David, the true David. He was holding her in his arms, kissing her. Her, the ordinary Gillian, whowas wearing an old color in sweatshirt and no makeup.It was absurd that shed ever believed things like makeup mattered.David was alive, that was what mattered. Gillian didnt turn in his finale on her conscience. And if theycould somehow live through the rest of what had to be done, they however might be happier than she had everimagined.How weird that she could still think. solely they didnt seem to be kissing eachmore they were just holdingeach other now. And that was almost as fair, just feeling his body against hers.Gillian pulled away.David-His eyes were luxuriant of wonder. You know what? I love you.I know. Gillian realized she was being less than romantic. She couldnt help it. This was the time foraction. David, I brook to tell you some things, and I dont know if you can believe me. however youve got totry. Gillian, I said I love you. I mean that. We-Then he stopped and searched her face. He seemed to see something that changed his mind. I loveyou, he said in a different tone. So Ill believe you.The initial thing is that Im not anything like what you think. Im not brave, or noble, or witty in the face of jeopardy or-or anything like that. Its all been-a sort of set-up. And heres how it happened.And then she told him.Everythin g. From the beginning, from the afternoon when shed heard the shout out in the woods andfollowed it and died and found an angel.She told him the whole story, nigh how Angel had appeared in her room that night and how hedchanged her whole life. About the whispering that had guided her ever since.And about the very bad things. Her witch heritage. The spell shed put on Tanya. The Night World. Allthe way up to the accident last night.When she was done, she sit rearwards and looked at him.Well?Well, I probably ought to think youre crazy. enti confide I dont. Maybe Im crazy, too. Or maybe its becauseI died once, myself. You started to tell me that, that first night- and then the car skidded. What happened?When I was s horizontal my appendix burst. I died on the operating table-and I went to a govern like thatmeadow. Ill tell you the singular thing, though. I felt that rushing thing come at me, too-that enormous thing yousaid came at you hi the end. Onlyit actually reached me. And i t wasnt dark or scary. It was white-beautiful light-and it had wonderful wings.Gillian was staring. Then what?It sent me back. I didnt have any choice. It loved me, but I had to go back anyway. So- zoom-back grim the tunnel, and pop, back into the body. Ive never forgotten it. And, its herculean to explain, but Iknow it was real. I guess thats why I believe you.Then maybe you go steady what Ive got to do. I dont know what Angel really is. I think he may besome kind of demon. further Ive got to stop him. exorcise him or whatever.David took her by the arms. You cant. You dont know how.But maybe Melusine does. Its either her or that guy Ash at the club. He seemed all right. The onlydown side is that I think he was a vampire.David had stiffened. I take for the witch-Me, too.-but I want you to wait for me. Theyll let me out later this afternoon.I cant. David, its for Tanya and Kim, too. Melusine might know how to cure them. Anyway, Imcertainly going to ask her. And I cant let any mo re time go by.David pulled at his hair with the hand that wasnt hooked to the IV. Okay. All right, crock up me fiveminutes, and well go together now.No.He was looking at the IV as if figuring out how to undo it. Yes. Just wait for me-Gillian blew him a kiss from the door and ran before he looked up.He couldnt help her. You couldnt fight Angel in ordinary ways. All David would be was leverage inAngels hands-a hostage-something to threaten to harm.Gillian jogged out of the hospital and through the parking lot. She found the Geo.Okay, now if Melusine would just be at the storeYou dont really want to do this, you know.)Gillian slammed the car door closed. She sat up very bang-up, looking at nothing, as she buttoned herseatbelt and started the car.(Listen, kid. You aint never had a friend like me.)Gillian pulled out of the parking lot.(Come on, give me a break. We can at least talk about this, cant we? There are some things you dont beneathstand.)She couldnt listen to him. She didnt da re answer him. The last time, hed transfixed her somehow,made her relax and give up control to him. That couldnt happen again.But she couldnt shut his voice out. She couldnt get away from it.(And you cant love him. There are rules against it. Im serious. You belong to the Night Worldnow-youre not allowed to love a human. If they beat out, theyll obliterate you both.)(And what were you trying to do to us?) Damn, shed answered him back. She wouldnt do that again.(Not hurt you. It was only him I wanted. I could have slipped in as he slipped out)Dont listen, Gillian told herself. There must be some way of blocking him, of care him out of her mindShe began to sing.DECK the halls with boughs of HOL-ly Fa la la lalaHe hadnt been able to hear her thoughts when she hummed before. It seemed to work, now, as long asshe kept her mind on the lyrics. She sang Christmas carols. Loudly. The fast ones, like God Rest YeMerry, Gentlemen and Joy to the World, were best.The xii Days of Christmas go t her the last few miles to Woodbridge.Please be there fivesome golden rings, she caroled, hurrying into the Woodbridge Five and Ten with the shoe box underher arm. She didnt care who thought she was crazy. FOUR calling birds, THREE French hens She was at the door to the back room.TWO turtle doves A very startled Melusine looked up from behind the take.And a please, youve got to help me Ive got this Angel whos trying to kill great deal She broke offthe song and rushed to Melusine.Youve what?Ive got this-angel thing. And I cant stop him from talking to me. Gillian suddenly realized that Angelhad stopped talking. Maybe he got scared when I came in here. But I still need your help. Please.Suddenly her eyes were stinging with tears again.Melusine leaned both elbows on the counter and rested her chin on her hands. She looked surprised, but departing. Why dont you tell me about it?For the second time that day, Gillian told her story. All of it. She hoped that by telling everything, shec ould make Melusine learn her urgency. And her lack of experience.So Im not even a real witch, she said at the end.Oh, youre a witch, all right, Melusine said. There was color in her cheeks and a look of fascination inher dark eyes. He told you the truth about that. Everybody knows about the lost Harman babies. LittleElspeth-the records say that she died in England. But apparently she didnt. And youre her descendant.Which means its okay for me to do spells?Melusine laughed. Its okay for anyone to do spells who can do spells. In my opinion. Some peopledont feel the same way-But can you help me take the spells off? Gillian loose the shoe box. She felt humiliated to show thedolls to Melusine-even though shed bought them here. I wouldnt have done it if Id known, shemurmured feebly, as Melusine looked at the dolls.I know. Melusine gestured at her to be quiet. Gillian watched tensely and waited for the verdict.Okay, it looks as if youve started the process already. But I think maybe so me healing salveand raise thistleShe bustled around, almost flying in her chair. She applied things to the dolls. She asked Gillian toconcentrate with her, and she said linguistic process Gillian didnt recognize.Finally, she wrapped the wax dolls in what looked like white silk, and put them back in the box.Is that all? Its done?Well, I think its a trustworthy idea to keep the dolls, just in case we need to do more healing. Then, after that,we can unname them and get rid of them.But now Tanya and Kim will be okay? Gillian was anxious for reassurance, and she couldnt help thequick watch of doubt she cast-at Melusines missing leg.Melusine was direct. If theyve had anything amputated, it wont cure them. We cant grow new limbs.She touched her leg. This happenedin a boating accident. But otherwise, yes, they should get better.Gillian let out a breath she seemed to have been holding for hours. She shut her eyes. Thanks. Thankyou, Melusine. You dont know how good it feels to not feel li ke youre maiming somebody.Then she opened her eyes. But the hard parts still to come. Angel.Yes.Well, I think youre right about it being hard. She looked Gillian straight in the eye. And dangerous.I know that already. Gillian turned and took a quick grand around the room. He can get into my mindand make me do things-Not just your mind. Anyones.And Im pretty sure he can move objects by himself. Make cars skid. And he sees everything. Shecame back to the counter. Melusine-what is he? And whys he doing all this? And why to me?Well, the last questions the easiest. Because you died. Melusine wheeled quickly to a bookshelf at theend of the counter. She pulled down a volume.He must have caught you in the between-place, the place between earth and the Other Side. The placewhere he was, she said, wheeling back. He pretended to be the welcomer, the one who guides you tothe Other Side. That thing rushing at you at the end-that was probably the real welcomer. But this Angelgot you out of the b etween-place before it could reach you.Gillian spoke flatly. Hes not a real angel, is he?No.Gillian gear up herself. Is he a devil?I dont think so. Melusines voice was gentle. She opened the book, flipping pages. From the way youbrought him back with you, I think he must be a spirit. There are two ways of getting spirit from thebetween-place you can summon them or you can go fetch them yourself. You did it the hard way.Wait a minute. Youre saying I brought him?Well, not consciously. Im sure you didnt mean to. It sounds like he just sort of grabbed on andwhooshed down the tunnel-what we call the narrow path-right along with you. Spirits in thebetween-place can watch us, sometimes talk to us, but they cant really interact with us. When youbrought him to earth, you set him free to interact.Oh, wonderful, Gillian whispered. So on top of everything, its my fault from the beginning. Shelooked around dazedly, then back at Melusine. But what is a spirit, really? A dead person?An infelici tous dead person. Melusine turned pages. An earthbound spirit is a damaged nous Sheshut the book. Look, its actually simple. When a spirit is really unhappy-when theyve done somethingawful, or theyve diedwith unfinished business-then they dont go on to the Other Side. They get stuck in-well, the book calls itthe stellar(a) planes near earth. We call it the between-place.Stuck.They wont go on. Theyre too angry and hopeless to even want to be healed. And they can do awfulthings to living people if they get down here, just out of general miserableness.But how do you get rid of them?Melusine drew a breath. Well, thats the hard part. You can rouse them back to the between-place-ifyou have some blood and hair from their physical body. And if you have all sorts of special ingredients,which I cant get. And if you have the right spell, which I dont know.I see.And in any case, that only traps him in the between-place again. It doesnt heal him. But, Gillian, theressomething Ive got to tel l you. Melusines face was very serious, and she spoke almost formally. Youmay not need to rely on me.What do you mean?Gillian I dont think you really ascertain who you are. Did he-this spirit-explain to you just howimportant the Harmans are?He said Elspeths sister was some big witch leader.The biggest. Shes the Crone, the leader of all the witches. And the Harmans are-well, theyre sort oflike the princely family to us.Gillian smiled bleakly. So Im a witch princess?You told me that Elspeth is your mothers mothers mother. Youre descended entirely through thefemale class from her. But thats-extraordinary. There are almost no Harman girls left. There were only twoin the world-and now theres you. Dont you see, if you let the Night World know about this, theyll flockto help you. Theyll take care of Angel.Gillian was unimpressed. And how long will that take?For them to gather and everything check out your family, make all the preparations I dont know.It could probably be done in a mat ter of weeks. too long. Way too long. You dont know what Angel can do in a few weeks.Then you can try to do it yourself.But how?Well, youd have to find out who he was as a person and what business he left unfinished. Then youdhave to finish it. And finally, youd have to convince him to go on. To be willing to leave thebetween-place for the Other Side. She glanced wryly at Gillian. I told you it would be hard.And I dont think hed be very cooperative. He wouldnt like it.No. He could hurt you, Gillian.Gillian nodded. It doesnt matter. Its what Ive got to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment